Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cravings

I've been craving chocolate and coffee.  Not together but there you have it. I'm picky about my coffee: I don't like it like it weak, when it tastes burned or is articially flavored.  I didn't want to make a pot because I really only drink about 4 - 6 oz of coffee, once or twice a week.  It would be a waste of coffee and I guess I didn't want it that badly or I would have made a small amount.  But yesterday afternoon I had a headache that I couldn't shake and had to have the coffee.  My favorite place had too long of a line.  They brew each cup individually so coupled with a line of 10 people I would have been late for my client meeting.  Hello Whole Foods!  No line and they brewed my Cafe Au Lait for me right then and there.  It was good and the craving is gone.

Today I caved to the chocolate craving, for breakfast no less.  I had a smoothie with banana, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, tablespoon of almond butter, chia and two tablespoons of cacao powder.  It made my smoothie into something special.  Cacao powder is a raw unsweetened chocolate powder containing antioxidants, iron, magnesium (considered the relaxation mineral - bonus) and it's low in calories and fat.  Both chia and cacao are considered Mayan superfoods which increase energy and health. 

Often times a craving is the body's way of telling you you're missing a mineral or vitamin that you need.  Other time it's the comfort we crave.  Either way there are ways to curb cravings with natural foods and better choices than we sometimes make.  For salty cravings olives help and for creamy cravings avocados or bananas might work.  Don't get me wrong, there are days when only a piece of quality dark chocolate or salty tortilla chips will do and I have them.  But most days I'm satisfied with real food and I can move on with my day rather than thinking about the one food constantly.  

If you would like to discuss cravings with me or for a free health history please contact me at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com or visit my website: http://empoweredplate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment