Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween and What To Do With the Candy?

Happy Halloween!  Do you enjoy the holiday or dislike it?  I like to see the little kids dressed up, the Halloween parade, pumpkins and apple cider (especially the kicked up version my friend Donna makes - it can have you talkin' loud and saying nothing).  I can do without the eggs though.

Although we really don't get many trick or treaters I still like to have something on hand for those that show up.  While I am not a fan of a lot of sugary foods, I get that it's a holiday and these are treat items.  I don't give out fruit because most parents will not let the kids eat it and, really, what kid wants fruit.  Still, I don't like to give out things with dyes and too much artifical junk.  I went with Hershey Kisses - milk and dark - no nuts in case of allergies.  I like the Kisses but not enough to want to pick at them. 

The leftover candy can be the downfall of many of us and if you have kids there will be candy around which can be tempting to nibble on.  Putting it out of your sight can help all of you.  Work out how much candy you'll let the kids eat and stick to that.  Pick out a treat for yourself, have it and move on.  Remember the day is a one day holiday not a weeklong candy festival.  There are plenty of other festive seasonal foods that you can enjoy that will keep your blood sugar stable and your energy up.

A lovely way to rid yourself of extra candy is to send it to our troops.  The candy goes to those who are injured and recovering as well as those who are overseas and fighting.  You can find out more about this program at http://www.treatsfortroops.info/default.html.  Consider buying back some of the candy from your kids to send as well.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
serves 1

1 c canned or fresh roasted pumpkin
1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or low-fat milk)
1/2 large banana
1 -2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs ground flax seed
ice

Blend all ingredients until smooth, enjoy! 
You can add 1 Tbs of almond butter for protein & healthy fat.

To discuss other strategies for Halloween survival or for a free health history please contact me at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com or visit my website:  http://empoweredplate.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment