Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gearing up for Turkey Day

Right now I'm having a Savory Day.  A Savory Day is a day when I don't eat sweets at all.  It lets me balance out from the anniversary party I went to on Saturday and prepare for Thanksgiving Thursday.  I'm eating oatmeal with strawberries for breakfast, tuna on Ezekiel bread and salad for lunch and dinner is fish and vegetables.  If I need a snack it will be nuts or some carrots & hummus.  It's also a Whole Foods day, nothing I'm eating is processed.  It lets my body regroup from some eating that may not have been the healthiest choices.  These are good days to incorporate throughout the holiday season.  You're not starving yourself nor are you constantly depriving yourself. 

I'm also exercising.  I like getting a good sweat on, my brain is happy and I'm ready for any drama that may occur during the upcoming holiday.  There's something about families in one location that brings out the crazy, but whatever.  I'm ready to deal.

On Thanksgiving it's important to do something for yourself before you have a crowd over or before you're part of a crowd.  Go for a walk or run, do some yoga or dance around the house.  Just do an exercise that makes you happy and gets you balanced.

I make sure to eat a good healthy breakfast.  Fasting until the main event just leaves you hungry and your blood sugar out of wack.  No one wants to hang out with a grumpy hungry person.  It will also keep you from diving into the food.  Having food in your system lets you think about what you want to eat and enjoy the food, rather than mindlessly grabbing and eating.   We eat mid-day so I usually have some fruit and almond butter or string cheese around noon.  Enough to tide me over but not leave me full. 

Tomorrow I'll talk more about the main event.  I believe in enjoying the holiday and not beating myself up over something I ate.  Stay tuned for some tips & tricks.

You can reach me at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com if you would like some support during this holiday season.  I'm happy to do a free health history with you and help you set up some goals and strategies.  You can also visit my website for further information:  http://empoweredplate.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment