Friday, April 27, 2012

Motivation, Part Two and Team in Training

This post is going to be slightly different from what I usually blog. 

Some of you know I got my start in running with Team in Training, which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I was looking for a challenge, I was a little bored with my job and I wanted something to shake up my exercise routine.  I got all of that and so much more. I received step by step training from trained coaches, cross training tips, nutrition tips, hand holding and fund raising assistance.  I met some really amazing people, developed a real liking for running and had a commitment to something important.

I was able to run a half-marathon, 13.1 miles; a distance I never dreamed I'd be able to run.  I did not start running until I was 40 years old and to go from no running to 13.1 miles was something that was incredibly empowering.  And I've done it more than once!  I went on to become a mentor for Team in Training so I could encourage others the way my mentor, Patti, encouraged me.  Patti has gone on to become the coach of our team and I do nutrition talks for the different groups.  I'm also mentoring again for the 10K Mini (named for the mini-skirt).  It's all female race and it's full of energy.  I really look forward to running it again.

When I'm tired and I don't really feel like running I think about those who want to be active and just can't at the moment.  I think of those we've lost to cancer, including my father and various family  members.  I think of those who are undergoing treatment and those who have survived.  I run for all of them.  And I know the money I've raised helps pay for medicine, research, gives patient support and information and helps patients families as well. (there is an annual statement so you can see what the costs are and where the money goes - gotta love that). 

I would love for you to join me this Saturday as we kick off our training.  Walkers, walk/runners and runners are all welcomed.  There are various chapters throughout the country so you can be involved no matter where you are located.  A final way to help is to donate.  My page is not up yet but it will be very soon.  I welcome all donations, no amount is too small.  With your donation if there is a family member you would like honored or remembered and I'll put his/her name on my running jersey. 

Send me an email, janinemchale@empoweredplate.com, if you want further information or have questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment