Friday, April 13, 2012

What Is In Our Food?

This week I've received a lot of emails and Facebook posts on things that are in our food that shouldn't be.  It's disturbing and I wonder how many people are aware of just what they are eating.

I had a conversation last night about organic foods and someone told me she does not believe in them because organic milk lasts too long.  Yes, the sell by date is longer because it's ultra-pasteurized.  I'm not a fan of ultra-pasteurization but I'd rather not have antibiotics and growth hormones in the milk my family drinks.  Truth be told, I'm not a milk drinker.  I tend to use unsweetened almond milk to make smoothies or oatmeal but it's rare I sit down and drink a glass of milk.  I do enjoy Greek yogurt and cheese though and I don't want those added ingredients.

I buy evoo because I don't want to use corn oil and yet certain olive oils are being cut with corn, palm and hazelnut oils.  I'm allergic to hazelnuts so that can be dangerous as well as deceptive.  Mass market honey is often cut with corn syrup.  These extra ingredients are not put on the label.

I don't want beaver anal gland extract, aka castoreum, in things that are artificially raspberry flavored.  (really, does that not make your stomach turn)?  Propylene glycol is anti-freeze and is added to some cake mixes.  Sodium Laurel Sulfate is what makes shampoo sudsy and it's in a box of angel food cake mix I had in my cabinet.  I specifically do not buy shampoo with this ingredient as it is an irritant and it can cause diarrhea if ingested. Not what I want from a cake mix.

I'm not suggesting to never buy a packaged product but I am saying that you need to read labels, read up a little bit on companies and buy brands that are more committed to your health.  I do not always have the time to bake from scratch, although it is what I prefer.  I have a few brands that I trust and I use them.  Sometimes they cost a little more and sometimes they do not.  Knowing I'm not eating anti-freeze or shampoo ingredients kind of makes it priceless.

Send me an email, janinemchale@empoweredplate.com, if you would like to talk further about what is in your food and ways to eat better.

No comments:

Post a Comment