Friday, August 24, 2012

Doesn't Look Like a Last Minute Meal

I was tossed on a few ideas for dinner the other night but none of them sounded like what I wanted to eat.  We had chicken a few times, I didn't want fish and dinner had to be a fairly quick affair because my husband was running out to teach a guitar lesson.  Which also meant he was not going to have time to grill a steak.  By the time he called me to tell me he was leaving work and on his way home I still had no real clear plan on what to make.

And then I saw a recipe for chickpeas and broccoli with onions over pasta.  It sounded good but I didn't want pasta.  Then I thought about what I did have and the fact that I had about 30 minutes to get everything together and on the table.  So out came the small pink eggplant, the onion, the tomatoes, and the broccoli.  All sauteed together in some olive oil and garlic and  topped with fava beans.  I love fava beans because they're firm and meaty.  And, yes, they go nicely with a glass of Chianti.  (for all of you Silence of the Lamb fans).   I would use whatever vegetables you have on hand.  You could also add some broth or tomato paste if you would like to put this over pasta.

Ingredients:
1 small head of broccoli, chopped (trim the stems & slice them into coin size pieces and use them as well)
1 small eggplant, chopped into 1 - 2 inch cubes
1 small onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1 can of organic fava beans, rinsed & drained
1 Tbs olive oil
1 large garlic clove, smashed
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.  Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two.  Add broccoli stems and saute for 3 minutes, then add the rest of the broccoli and cook for another 3 minutes.  Add the eggplant, tomatoes and fava beans, sauteing until cooked through, about 5 - 7 minutes.

I served this over amaranth grains but you can use wheat pasta, brown rice or quinoa instead.  I put some feta cheese on my dish and my husband put some Parmesan on his.  This is a great choice for Meatless Monday or any night when you just need a quick dish.  It's hearty enough not to miss the meat.  We also had the leftovers as a side dish a few nights later, it was still tasty.

Need ideas for meal planning?  Send me an email at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment