Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Farmers Market and a Watermelon Recipe

I received an email today that said you are what you eat.  It made me laugh because yesterday almost everything I ate, including the 1/2 of a blueberry scone, came from the farmers market.  I do like to have a treat, I believe in balance.


The farmers market is amazing right now.  It's very easy to pick up health fresh fruits and vegetables.  I have a hard time not buying everything in sight.  I wash and freeze berries so I can have them throughout the winter.  I juice a lot of the vegetables, make salads and have stir fries or foil packets of vegetables on the grill.  I get eggs and some fish or meat, depending on what's available.


Yesterday's lunch, pictured above, was a salad topped with egg salad and home made guacamole.  Dinner was chicken burgers, roasted eggplant and zucchini, corn on the cob and gazpacho.  Dessert was a popsicle that I made by blending watermelon with lime and mint.  Tonight I'm making a ratatouille from eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash.  I'll toss in some of the basil I picked up as well.  


Here's a quick watermelon recipe that you can use as a drink, freeze as an ice or blend with tequila or vodka for a cocktail.  To make a sports recovery drink add in 1/4 tsp of salt, preferably Celtic sea salt since it has a lot of minerals in it:

Watermelon Mint Cooler


5 cups of watermelon
juice of one lime
1/2 stalk of mint - stems and leaves


Put in blender and puree.


What is your favorite summer fruit or vegetable?


If you would like to learn more about seasonal eating send me an email at   janinemchale@empoweredplate.com.  I look forward to hearing from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment