Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Go To Meal

Lately I've had a lot of comments from friends that they just don't have the time to cook in the evening.  Life is crazy busy and by the time they get home they're tired.  I completely understand this.  Some nights you get home, it's kind of late and all you want to do is eat right at that moment.  It's tempting to pick up a quick meal and be done with it.  It's not always the healthiest choice and who knows what's been added in to the food.

I have a few meals that I deem emergency meals.  I know the ingredient list is minimal, the food takes less than 20 minutes to put together and cook, and it's still a healthy meal.  Sounds impossible?  Fish, beans, chicken, and beef all can be cooked very quickly.  Frozen shrimp can be thawed under cold water in 5 minutes, a can of beans just needs to be rinsed, fish fillets cook under the broiler in minutes and chicken and beef just need to be cubed for a stir fry.

Here's one meal that you can vary with shrimp, chicken or make vegetarian by only using the beans.

White Bean and Shrimp Stir Fry
1 serving

Ingredients:
10 large shrimp thawed
1/2 cup of white beans, rinsed
A handful of chopped mushrooms (I like Shiitake but use what you've got)
2 cups of chopped vegetables - use what you've got on hand:  leafy greens and broccoli work really well
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 Tbs coconut oil (or olive oil)
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Heat the oil in a large skillet (medium high heat for coconut oil or medium heat if using olive oil), add garlic and cook for a minute or two.
Add in beans & mushrooms, saute for two minutes.
Add in chopped vegetables and lemon juice, cook for three minutes.
Add in shrimp, when shrimp start to curl remove from heat.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

That's it - dinner is ready.  You can add a side of brown rice or quinoa if you like.  (I keep Trader Joe's frozen brown, red & black rice medley on hand for emergency meals.  Ingredients are just the grains and water.  It's great if you are in a hurry).

If using chicken, I add that right after I saute the garlic, browning all sides before I add any other ingredients.

Visit my site, http://empoweredplate.com/, for other ideas or if you'd like a complimentary health consultation.  I can also be reached via email at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com.

I will be giving away my 3 Top Quick Power Breakfasts during the Transformational Truths Teleconference.   There will be 15 other speakers who will also be giving away freebies so be sure to sign up.  Visit http://www.transformationaltruths.com/ for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment