Friday, December 2, 2011

Why a Yoga Challenge?

I was reading a newsletter from Yoga Journal and they had an ad for a set of dvds they are selling, a 21 Day Yoga Challenge.  I've been kind of stiff and sore lately and my brain has been on overdrive so I knew I could use this challenge.  I don't want to buy more dvds because I have enough of my own and there's always Exercise on Demand and Yoga Journal podcasts for inspiration.  I decided to practice for at least 20 minutes a day for 21 days.  I post my daily practice to keep myself accountable.

I've been practicing yoga for about 14 years now but I think you always learn something new or a new way to be in a pose.  Stilling my mind is always a work in progress and it's more challenging to me than Crow pose (my nemesis).  I like that there's something  for how I'm feeling each day:  power yoga, vinyasa flow, gentle yoga, Bikram (hot) yoga, yoga that focuses on breath and restorative poses. 

To be honest I felt my best when I did at least 20 minutes of yoga every day.  I workout with cardio or additional strength training on top of the yoga but there's something about hitting the mat that works for me.  No two days are ever the same and I've stopped expecting them to be.  I'm stronger or more flexible on some days and others not so much.  It doesn't matter, it's about where you are at that moment and honoring what you can do. 

When I'm practicing consistantly I find I stress less and am able to remind myself that today is what it is.  Tomorrow will be a new day and maybe I can look at things in a different way.  I find myself less irritable and more patient.  (a miracle in itself).  I think that's something I can use anytime of year but it's pretty essential during this crazy holiday time.  I'd like to be calm during the storm. 

You can make up your own yoga challenge, maybe you want to try different types of yoga practices or a new teacher or studio.  Pick how many days you would like to practice per week and a minimum amount of time that you will practice.  Let me know how it goes. 

Leave a comment or email me at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com  if you want chat further about yoga challenges, how to begin a yoga program or would like some support around your health goals.  You can also visit my website http://empoweredplate.com/ for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment