Tuesday, December 20, 2011

21 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 22

Yes, I did 21 days in a row of yoga and I enjoyed it.  Some days it was kind of a pain to fit the yoga in but I committed to it and I wanted to see it through.  I like a challenge, especially a physical one. There's a sense of accomplishment when you stretch beyond what you normally do.  Plus how often do we push ourselves?  Most of us look to avoid discomfort not to embrace it.

Doing yoga daily made me more flexible, both physically and mentally.  I fit yoga in during different times of the day and I tried styles that I never practiced before.  I even gave my nemesis, Crow, a few tries. I liked power yoga more than I thought I would.  I wouldn't have known that if I didn't push myself outside my usual practice.

It's more than the calorie burn, and there is a greater burn the more you push your limits.  It's the aha moment of yes, I can do this.  It's not comfortable at first but I can finish.  It's not going to stay at that level of uncomfortable for long.

I never ever thought I would be a runner.  Now I've run a few small races, a 10k and two half marathons.  It wasn't easy in the beginning, I didn't like it and some days I questioned my sanity.   But I ran with other people so I had accountability.  I had a coach and a mentor so I had other voices to listen to than just the negative one in my head.  Now it's something I enjoy, go figure.

So do a challenge that's just beyond whatever you are doing now.  Don't exercise at all? Try doing 10 minutes a day for 4 days a week.  Exercise 4 days?  Try for 5.  Do you exercise for 30 minutes?  How about going for 40?  If you run, swim or bike regularly, try a race.  You will be surprised at how good you end up feeling. 

Want some encouragement and support around fitness, goals and food?  Send me an email at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com and together we can come up with a plan that's fun and works for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment