Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring is Ideal for Greens

Since I've been on the theme of cleansing I'm going to stick with greens today.  Greens are perfect for this time of year, especially since they help clear out mucus.  The mild winter we've had has given way to an early spring season.  My allergies have started up and greens help keep my sinuses clear.

It's also the season for asparagus, which, while not a leafy green, is ideal for a spring cleanse.  It has a high fibrous content, it's low in calories, high in folic acid, potassium, vitamins K, C and A.  It was also favored by King Louis XIV as a delicacy.  Lightly steam or roast this for a wonderful addition to your meal.  (Yes, it makes your pee smell funny for a little while.  It's harmless and doesn't last long).

Leafy greens are also a wonderful choice.  They are also filled with fiber, vitamins and minerals, they help purify the blood, strengthen the immune system, give you a light, flexible energy and help lift depression.  I use spinach, dandelion, and arugula in salads; kale, chard and beet greens sauteed; and bok choy, cabbage and collards in stir frys. 

The varities go on and so do the possibilities.  Throw a handful of spinach in your morning smoothie.  (the fruit will hide the taste, don't worry).  Toss some kale in with your scrambled eggs for your own version of Green Eggs and Ham.  I add in greens to my soups and chili as well, especially if I'm using a canned version.

Give a new green a whirl and see how you like it.  You might just find a new favorite.

I am leading a spring cleanse on April 16, your choice of 5 or 10 days.  Send me an email at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com if you are interested and I'll send you the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment