Friday, September 28, 2012

Running Along and Then - Ouch, What Was That?!

If you do any type of fitness activity I know you understand.  Things are going along just fine and then, there it is, that quick sharp pain.  Oh no, you know deep down that it's not going to go away but you are hoping that some ice and rest are all it needs.  In most cases that's true, but when it's not the frustration sets in.

The first time that it happened while running I was training with Team in Training for my first half-marathon.  I was excited, I'd never run the mileage that I was doing and I was eager.  I was running one night and something in my back hip didn't feel right.  A few days later I participated in a race and I was very sore afterward.  Limping sore and I rested a few days.  My next run had me in tears and limping again.  I just knew it was bad and it was not going to go away on its own.  

After a few sessions of physical therapy (yes, I was still hoping it wasn't too serious) I was not getting better.   Sitting for too long and even walking around Target would have me in pain.  I had to go see the sports medicine doctor and get checked out.  He was very kind and he knew right away that I had a stress fracture in my hip.  No race this time around, no running for at least 2 more months and more PT.

I cried again, I was so frustrated and I had invested a lot emotionally as well as physically.  I did the physical therapy and I did what ever other exercises I was allowed to do to keep up my fitness.  Biking, swimming and the elliptical machine were all okay so I temporarily joined the gym.

I watched my teammates get ready for their races and I was jealous.  I am not proud to say that I also wanted to trip random runners when I saw them out blissfully going about their routines.  I went to Florida as planned, since I already had the airfare but I could not watch the marathon.  I was just not there emotionally yet.  I was also worried that I would not be able to run again.

Another annoying thing was I had to adjust my eating again.  I wasn't logging in the mileage and I was starting to gain back some of the weight I'd lost.  I had finally figured out what worked for me as a runner and now I had to go back to the drawing board.

I'm happy to say that the work paid off.  I have completed two half-marathons, a few 10ks and several smaller races since then.  I've had other injuries to deal with that kept me side-lined at times but I knew just what to do until I could get back to my training plan.

Are you frustrated by being side lined and wondering what in the heck do I do now?  Not sure how to adjust your eating?  Send me an email, janinemchale@empoweredplate.com, for a 30 minute consultation to see if we can work together to get you back on track.  You can also visit my website, http://empoweredplate.com, for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment