Friday, September 7, 2012

My New Breakfast Obsession

I've had this breakfast every morning for the past three days.  It's like a pudding rather than eating oatmeal.   I'm thinking of making it again with some different flavors for tomorrow.  What can I say, I love my overnight oats?  I find regular cereal does not keep me full, even when it's full of fiber and low in sugar.  I don't always want a smoothie and it's been too warm for cooked breakfasts.  Plus, honestly, I don't usually feel like cooking in the morning.  I've got other things to do and I want to get out the door quickly.

This is quick to put together the night before.  It needs time to set up and for the milk to be absorbed so it doesn't really work as well in the morning.  On the other hand, it only takes 5 minutes to put together; including chopping any fruit that you want to add.

I find that if I use banana or mango it does not need any added sugar but you might want to add a little maple syrup or honey to yours.  I use rolled oats, steel cut oats will not soften properly and quick oats can get mushy.  The chia seeds, which can be found in health food stores, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's, give the cereal its pudding consistency.

The below recipe is what I've been eating.  For tomorrow I'm thinking of using mango, coconut, and vanilla protein powder and eliminating the cocoa, almond butter, and strawberries.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
1/3 c rolled oats
1 c milk of your choice (I use coconut milk beverage -  not the canned one)
1 Tbs chia seeds
1 Tbs raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbs peanut or almond butter
1/2 banana, chopped (or fruit of your choice)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 or 5 strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces (or fruit of your choice)

Mix all ingredients, except for strawberries, in a large cereal bowl or a container with a lid.  When there are no lumps add in the berries.  Cover and put in the fridge overnight.  Uncover in the morning and enjoy.

You can top this with coconut, cacao nibs, extra milk or a little natural sweetener.

Tired of the not having energy during the day?  Bored with your same old meals?  Send me an email, janinemchale@empoweredplate.com, for a free consultation.  You can also visit my website, http://empoweredplate.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment