Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Losing Motivation? How To Hang on to the Goal.

Let's face it, any long term goal can seem impossible to reach.  It seems that we're chugging along and still the end goal is not quite in sight. It can be so frustrating.  The first key is to remember why you want this goal in the first place.  It has to be something that motivates you and you alone.  It cannot be something you are doing for someone else.

Are you running a race?  Why?  What are you going to get from finishing that race?  Imagine the tangibles:  how will your body feel?  how will your self-esteem be impacted?  how will you look?  (it's fine to be a sweaty mess - you just completed a race)!  Now think about what else it might realistically lead to, your possibilities are endless.

Do you want to lose weight?  Again, ask yourself why.  It could be for health, to fit into clothes, to improve your quality of life.  Again, imagine the outcome.  How will you feel and how will you look?  What else could you accomplish? Be realistic - weight loss is not a magic cure for all of your troubles in life.  You will, however, enjoy the new found energy you have.

Post these goals and reasons every where.  I'm not kidding.  Use them as your computer log ins, put post-its on your mirror and the fridge, stick notes in your wallet or purse, put reminders in your calendars, your car, and anywhere else that will jog your memory.

The other tip is to break down the long term goal into smaller bite size chunks.  I do this with my clients in my coaching programs and I do this myself as a runner.  I know darn well that I'm not going from running 3 miles to 13.1 in three weeks.  There has to be build up, 10% mileage increases, speed drills and hill training.  I set a goal for the week and work at it.

It's the same thing for weight loss.  I'm not going to lose 20 pounds in two weeks and keep it off.  But I can add vegetables to my meals and next week I can eat one less treat per day.  I can swap a sweet drink for seltzer with mint and lime and another week I can add in exercise.

Make it a game.  What makes you feel your best?  Notice what meals or workouts make your body feel alive and doing what it is meant to do.  Notice what makes you feel sluggish and drained.  Write them down so you can repeat what works and discard what doesn't.  Journaling is one way to notice and keep track of progress and goals.

Do you need help resetting your eating?  I'm leading a whole food cleanse on October 14th.  You can visit the events link in my website for full details, http://empoweredplate.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment