Friday, October 5, 2012

Taking Charge of Your Health

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Hippocrates said.  I believe that food is one of the best ways to take care of yourself.  A healthy clean diet goes a long way to  preventing disease and keeping you energized.  It supports you in you daily life in a way nothing else could.

But I also believe that there is a time for medicine and for taking care of yourself with preventative measures.  We tend to only go to the doctor when we are sick.  To have health care you need to schedule a visit when you are feeling well and get yourself checked out.  Otherwise you're just participating in sick-care.

This morning I had blood work done for my physical. While I don't enjoy going, it was not really a big deal.  Honestly, the worst part for me is not eating breakfast when I want to.  The lab takes appointments now.  One tube of blood, a little urine sample and I was on my way out the door 15 minutes after I arrived.

 I'll have a follow up visit with my primary doctor to discuss the results and see if there are any areas that I need to tweak.  I'm not expecting anything other than my iron not being as high as it could be, but I like to be certain.  And if something else does show up then I can work on correcting it.

I have family and friends who prefer not to know if something is wrong.  As if not knowing is going to make them better or change their diagnosis.  I get being afraid but being informed gives you some choice as to what to do as well as a chance to change the outcome.  A lot of diseases are reversible and can be affected by diet and exercise.  And if it requires further attention you should be able to avail yourself of it.

So take charge of your good health and schedule that appointment you've been putting off.  Take someone along for moral support if you need to, but just go.

No comments:

Post a Comment