Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How Do You Take Care of Yourself?

I've had a difficult few weeks.  I had the foot surgery which was a bit more limiting to my mobility than I thought it would be.  Worse, my mother had a horrible accident and the doctors gave her a 50/50 chance for recovery.  Thankfully they are much more positive now.  In the midst of this I am at the end of my school year and have my final test this week.  It was very difficult to focus on much of anything during this time. 

And yet, I still have to take care of myself and make sure I stay healthy and strong.  I really wouldn't be any good to anyone if I am sick or rundown.  For me this means continuing to eat well, exercising and doing little things to boost myself when I am overwhelmed.  I increase my superfoods during this time as well.  I make sure that I am getting as many nutrients and energizing foods because, quite frankly, I get exhausted.  I don't sleep well when I'm worried and during the day I'm trying to stay busy.

It's easy to neglect yourself when things are tough or when you are busy.  You need to make yourself a priority as well.  We are better able to help others when we are at the top of our game as well.  It may seem selfish to spend time on other things when someone is ill, when your trying to build a business, or raising your family but you will have much more energy and patience when you also take care of yourself.  

What things will make you feel energized?  Definitely eating better foods boosts energy and exercise will also give you a lift.  Exercise is as much for your brain as it is for your body.  There are also other things you can do to soothe yourself.  Maybe you need to soothe with a bath, a dry brushing session or a good massage.  It could be that you just need some time to breathe and be still.  I like to get outside, feel the sun on my face and watch the dog play.  A manicure also makes me feel good.  It's quick, it's nicer than what I can do at home and I like to see that little flash of color on my nails.  It's not something I do often so it's a treat.

The point is to do what feels good for you that's going to continue to leave you feeling good.  It lets you be the best possible you under the circumstances.  You deserve it and so do the people in your life.

What do you do for self care?

I am happy to help support you on your health journey. For more information contact me at janinemchale@empoweredplate.com. You can also visit my website at http://empoweredplate.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment